Practice Group Members
Patents are becoming increasingly important as a valuable asset and useful business tool. Often, patents are a company’s most valuable asset. We advise our clients on all aspects of patent law, including identifying and developing an effective and economically efficient patenting strategy, building and maintaining a world-wide patent portfolio that meets business objectives, clearing new products to avoid law suits, enforcing clients’ patent rights or defending against infringement law suits, helping negotiating license agreements, or conducting due diligence investigations. We have also developed a network of highly qualified foreign associates who are experts in local patent laws, to assist our clients in foreign countries no matter where their businesses or markets take them.
We bring many years of patent law experience to our clients’ patent needs, aided with our prior engineering and corporate experience. We strive to stay abreast of our clients’ business objectives and partner with our clients closely to understand their business and legal goals. We are committed to maintaining a high-standard of client services throughout the patenting process and providing quality patent law advice with the dedication expected from a trusted business advisor. When necessary, we work with lawyers with expertise in other areas of law, such as corporate, employment, tax, and litigation, to tailor our advice and solutions to best meet our clients’ business objectives.
Our patent law service encompass all areas of patent law, including:
- advising on patenting strategy and devising global patent protection strategies
- evaluating inventions and assessing patentability of new ideas, modifications and improvements
- drafting and filing patent applications to protect our clients’ innovations and technologies
- prosecuting patent applications to obtain patents for domestic and international clients
- maintaining and developing patent portfolios to support clients’ business objectives
- negotiating patent licensing agreements, helping structure licensing deals and evaluating licensing offers
- advising and assisting clients in their acquisition and transfer of patent rights and interests in inventions from inventors and companies
- enforcing clients’ patent rights and counseling clients on effective and economically efficient enforcement strategies
- evaluating third parties’ infringement allegations and counseling clients on defending against infringement law suits
- conducting patent searches of third party’s patents, advising on validity and enforceability of third party’s patents and other intellectual property rights, counseling clients on avoiding infringement of others’ patents and other intellectual property rights
- conducting due diligence investigation and evaluation of patent portfolios involved in business and corporate transactions
- counseling clients on patent matters, including any potential infringement risks, in proposed M&A transactions and investment deals
We work with clients from all sectors and industries and diverse technology areas, and represent Canadian companies of all sizes to protect their technology in any country in the world. We also represent companies of all sizes from the United States, Europe, and Asia (including China) in connection with their Canadian patent needs.
Whether you are starting a new venture or expanding into a new marketplace, Dale & Lessmann LLP can bring a unique global perspective to the legal and business issues you face.
For more information, please contact Dr. Sean X. Zhang.