John G. Richardson
- LL.B. Osgoode Hall Law School
- B.A. (Hons.) Victoria College, University of Toronto
Champs de pratique
John Richardson is a member of Dale & Lessmann LLP’s Renewable Energy and Independent Power Production, Construction, and Real Estate law practice groups. He has extensive experience representing clients in matters relating to municipal, environmental and construction law. His varied experience includes bringing applications, seeking approvals, lobbying, and litigating matters under related statutes including the Municipal Act, 2001, the Planning Act, the Building Code Act, the Expropriations Act, the Environmental Assessment Act, the Environmental Protection Act, the Consolidated Hearings Act, and the Construction Lien Act.
John’s expertise includes providing the firm’s clients with strategic approval advice, assembling and managing consultant teams, delivering presentations to municipal councils and staff of provincial ministries and agencies, advocating at administrative tribunals, and litigating before the courts. John has advocated on behalf of clients at Land Division Committee/Committee of Adjustment hearings, Ontario Municipal Board hearings, hearings before a Joint Board constituted under the Consolidated Hearings Act, and has successfully resisted applications for injunctive relief sought by municipalities and by the Attorney General of Ontario against his clients.
John has successfully obtained approvals for official plan and zoning by-law amendments, site plan approvals, and subdivision approvals. He has also obtained certificates of approval, permits, exemptions, designations and releases under the Environmental Assessment Act, the Environmental Protection Act, and Consolidated Hearings Act. He also makes appearances before the Environmental Assessment Board/Environmental Review Tribunal.
John has prosecuted and defended construction lien claims for owners, developers, financial institutions, trades, suppliers, architects, engineers, planners and government agencies, and has advised industry groups in relation to legislative amendments in this area of the law. He has also advised clients in relation to bidding/tendering and construction contract issues.
- Member College of Electors for the Governing Council of the University of Toronto, representing the alumni of Victoria College
- Past member of the Board of Regents of Victoria University, in the University of Toronto, and past Chair of the Alumni Affairs & University Advancement Committee of the Board
- Member of The Royal Canadian Military Institute
- Past President of the Toronto Alumni Chapter of Delta Chi Fraternity
- Past Advisor to the Board of Governors, Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology
Affiliations Professionnelles et Distinctions
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada), 1976
- Honourary Diploma of Applied Arts & Technology, Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Environmental Protection Act ("EPA") - Regulation 521/10, December 20, 2010
- Has lectured to trade and professional groups, as well as practitioners, in respect of Environmental Assessment: Practice and Procedure, and on the Construction Lien Act.