Dr. Sean X. Zhang
- J.D., University of Toronto
- Ph.D. (Physics), California Institute of Technology
- B.Sc. (Physics), Zhejiang University, China
Champs de pratique
Dr. Sean X. Zhang is a Partner in the Intellectual Property Group at Dale & Lessmann LLP. Dr. Zhang is a lawyer licensed in Ontario and a patent agent registered to practice before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) and the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is also a trademark agent registered with CIPO.
Dr. Zhang advises clients on the development and enforcement of intellectual property (IP) protection of technology, including preparation and prosecution of patent applications, obtaining and enforcing patents, opinion work regarding patentability, infringement and validity, and all aspects of the clearance, acquisition, enforcement and exploitation of patents, trade-marks, copyright, and industrial designs. He has drafted and prosecuted patent applications for clients in electrical, mechanical and software fields. He also advises clients on licensing of IP, developing IP portfolios, as well as legal matters relating to information technology (IT), such as IT outsourcing, Internet law and electronic commerce.
Dr. Zhang also has an active China related practice. He advises Chinese clients on business interests in Canada, including commercial, corporate and immigration matters, and assists clients developing businesses in China.
Dr. Zhang speaks frequently at international and domestic conferences on legal issues pertaining to protection and management of intellectual property and related cross-border issues and has been invited as guest lecturer or invited speaker at various IP training programs by U.S., Canadian and Chinese governments at all levels and by universities. Dr. Zhang is fluent in written and spoken Chinese. He graduated from university in China. Before practising law, he worked as a researcher in the U.S., Italy and Canada, and as a software engineer in Canada
Affiliations Professionnelles et Distinctions
- Registered Patent Agent, United States
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada)
- Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member of the Licensing Executives Society
- Member of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Counsel (FICPI)
- Member IPIC Joint Liaison Committee - Patent, Joint Liaison Committee - Industrial Designs and Patent Legislation Committee
- Past Member of the Canadian Advisory Committee responsible for drafting and reviewing national and international standards in the information technology industry
- Fluent in Chinese
- Panel Discussion: Intellectual Property Protection, Ontario-China Science & Technology Collaboration Forum, Toronto, Ontario, October 12, 2012
- "IP Law Refresher & Practice Tips", LSUC accredited CLE program, Association of Chinese Canadian Lawyers of Ontario (ACCLO), Toronto, Ontario, September 17, 2011.
- "R&D, Innovation and Leverage of Global IP Assets", Energy Connections Summit 2011, Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME), Toronto, Ontario, May 4, 2011.
- "China Proposes New Internet Regulations", Webinar at United States Department of Commerce, February 9, 2011.
- "Cross-Border Deals - Some of The IP Issues", GCFF Toronto Conference 2010, Access Asian Capital Forum, Toronto, Ontario, October 15, 2010.
- "Protecting and Licensing your Intellectual Property in China: Basic Steps and Recent Developments", Licensing Executives Society 2009 Annual Meeting, California, U.S.A., October 18 - 21, 2009.