- LL.B. University of Ottawa, Common Law Section
- B. Comm. University of Ottawa, Telfer School of Management
- Uppsala University (Sweden), International Exchange (B.comm.)
Champs de pratique
Dean joined Dale & Lessmann LLP in 2014 as a Partner after practicing for many years at a national law firm. Dean practices business law with a focus on Canadian and cross-border mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. Dean also spends much of his time advising foreign and domestic clients with respect to the establishment and expansion of their businesses across Canada. He advises clients on business formations and wind-ups, immigration and employment matters, shareholder matters (including shareholder agreements and reorganizations), financings, partnership and joint venture arrangements, corporate governance and regulatory matters and on-going commercial transactions such as supply, distribution, service and licensing arrangements. Dean has particular expertise representing clients in the manufacturing, retail, distribution, private equity, insurance services, banking (payment cards and loyalty programs), renewable energy, agriculture and agrifood and not-for-profit sectors.
Affiliations Professionnelles et Distinctions
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada), 2004
- Canadian Bar Association
- Young Lawyer’s Division, Ontario Bar Association
- Gold Medalist, B. Comm.
- Fluent in Greek
- Your First Acquisition Transaction, Ontario Bar Association (YLD) Seminar, Co-Chair (2012)
- Boilerplate Clauses (Common Law), Canadian Institute: Key Business Agreements, Speaker and Contributor (2010)
- Conducting Effective Corporation Due Diligence, Ontario Bar Association (YLD) Seminar, Co-Chair, Speaker and Contributor (2009)
Examples of Recent Representative Work
- Represented Assa Abloy Entrance Systems in its acquisition of western-based overhead door manufacturer and distributor and Ontario-based automatic door manufacturer and distributor.
- Represented Granite Global Solutions, an insurance services provider, in acquisition of rehabilitation management company, a life insurance managing general agency company, a private investigation company and two insurance claims adjusting firms.
- Represented renewable energy provider in acquisition of 5MW solar energy project portfolio.
- Represented Royal Bank of Canada in its acquisition of Shoppers Drug Mart loyalty credit card portfolio from Bank of America and in its credit card co-brand arrangement with WestJet (WestJet-RBC Mastercard).
- Advised Bunge North America, Inc., a major agrifood company, in its establishment of a Canadian joint venture with Malaysian state-owned company.
- Represented U.S. material handling company in significant investment in distributor and acquisition of material handling business.
- Acted for private company in private placement equity re-financing involving over 100 shareholders.
- Completed over 15 private placements on behalf of French companies raising capital through global employee share offerings.