We are trusted advisors to many leading companies, private equity funds, and other investors on their most strategic and transformational deals. With full-service capabilities in Canada and a strong international network, we are uniquely positioned to advise as a single firm on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions.
We have extensive experience in the negotiation, planning and implementation of complex mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including cross-border and tax-driven transactions. We assist with all legal elements of mergers and acquisitions, such as the development of bidding processes, legal due diligence, document drafting and negotiation, transaction execution and pre- and post-closing reorganizations. Our team consists of lawyers with proficiencies in many transaction-oriented and deal-adjacent practice areas (including corporate-commercial, tax, franchise, cannabis, employment, intellectual property and real estate), many of whom are fluent in several languages.
We assist privately held and publicly traded Canadian and international entities to acquire, sell and combine with businesses in a variety of industry sectors. Our clients include industry leaders with household brands, global financial institutions, private equity funds and leading law firms in other jurisdictions. We frequently act for foreign entities in the purchase and sale of unique Canadian businesses and assets, such as energy projects and manufacturers.
Our business-minded lawyers find practical solutions to complex transactional issues. We employ decades of transactional experience to execute on our clients’ diverse and unique deal objectives.
Our representative work includes:
- Acting for shareholders of Canadian-based dental services conglomerate in relation to the sale of their shareholding interests to a major U.S. private equity fund for a purchase price in excess of $600 million.
- Acting for voestalpine AG in relation to its multi-million dollar share acquisition of the Canadian, U.S. and Mexican manufacturing operations of Summo Corp. and its U.S. and Mexican subsidiaries. Summo is a state-of-the-art manufacturer of high-quality tubular steel components for the automotive industry.
- Acting for HÖRMANN KG Verkaufsgesellschaft, one the world's leading garage door manufacturers, in relation to the multi-million-dollar acquisition of TNR Industrial Doors Inc., a Canadian commercial and industrial garage door manufacturer.
- Acting for IREKS GmbH in relation to multi-million dollar acquisition of Canadian bakery company based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Acting for EMBROSS of Australia in relation to the multi-million-dollar acquisition of the Canadian aviation services division of IBM Canada Limited.
- Acting for WEBER-Hydraulik GmbH in relation to the multi-million dollar share sale of its Quebec and Alabama-based HYCO manufacturing facilities to Montanhydaulik GmbH.
- Acting for VERBIO Vereinigte BioEnergie AG in relation to multi-million asset purchase of Canada’s second largest biodiesel refinery from Atlantic Biodiesel Corporation.
- Acting for German trustee in bankruptcy of Q-CELLS SE in relation to sale of 65 MW ground-mount solar project pipeline for purchase price in excess of $100 million.
- Acting for German company in relation to sale of 2.8 MW biogas/renewable natural gas facility in Lethbridge Alberta.
- Acting for a Swiss publicly traded company on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange in relation to $60 million reverse takeover of mining company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Acting for a Finnish information technology company in relation to the acquisition of a Canadian broadband solutions provider.
- Acting for an Austrian publicly traded video software game developer in relation to its multi-million-dollar acquisition of a Canadian video game developer.
- Acting for a Swiss railroad company in relation to multi-million-dollar acquisition of Canadian railway construction and maintenance company.
- Acting for Austrian company from Graz in relation to acquisition of Canadian airbag safety testing company.
- Acting for SMT Scharf AG, a Frankfurt stock exchange listed company, in relation to its multi-million-dollar acquisition of RDH Mining Equipment Ltd., a Sudbury-based manufacturer of underground mining equipment
- Acting for Hong Kong-based publicly traded company in relation to the USD $85 million acquisition of a Canadian liquefied natural gas company based in Calgary, Alberta.
- Acting for Canadian designer and manufacturer of corrugated displays for the retail industry in relation to $40 million asset sale to US multinational.
- Acting for purchaser and borrower in relation to management buy-out and USD $38 million financing of major Canadian construction company.
- Acting for Austrian company in relation acquisition of partnership interest in Canadian plastic moulds company.
- Acting for Austrian company from Graz in relation to acquisition of Canadian safety testing company.
- Acting as Canadian legal counsel to lenders in relation to the Euro 100 M+ financing of acquisition by Paragon Partners of Castolin Eutectic, the globally leading provider of wear-protection and repair solutions for industrial equipment.