Peter H. Baek
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada)
- Chartered Accountant (CA) Designation
- J.D. Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- B. Com, University of Toronto
- CICA In-depth Tax Course – Part I
- CICA In-depth Tax Course – Part II
- CICA Specialized Tax Course – Corporate Reorganizations
- CICA In-depth GST Course
Peter is a Partner at Dale & Lessmann LLP. His practice focuses on tax law advising on income tax, GST/HST and other taxes (including land transfer tax). He is a Certified Specialist in Taxation Law by the Law Society of Ontario.
Peter is qualified as a CPA CA and a lawyer and has been practising as a tax lawyer/accountant for over 20 years. Prior to pursuing his law degree, Peter worked as a senior tax auditor at the CRA where he audited companies with up to $1 billion in revenue. His experience provides special insight and diverse skills for helping clients in tax planning and representation matters.
Peter has assisted clients with a broad range of tax planning engagements involving domestic and international structures, cross-border transactions as well as a variety of corporate transactions including mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and dissolutions. His experience includes tax planning for (a) clients setting up partnerships, trusts and other business/investment structures; (b) non-residents establishing Canadian business operations; (c) clients transferring foreign pensions to Canadian registered plans; (d) employers designing equity compensation plans; and (e) clients immigrating to (or emigrating from) Canada. He has also helped business owners and high-net-worth families optimize their structures from a tax and estate planning perspective, advising on capital gains exemptions, navigating income splitting rules (i.e. tax-on-split-income (“TOSI”) rules), and implementing estate freezes, trusts, purifications and other strategies.
Peter also has extensive experience representing and counselling clients in tax disputes. Drawing upon his experience as a CRA auditor, CPA CA and lawyer, Peter has achieved significant tax savings for clients in numerous cases at various levels of the tax administration process from CRA audits to Tax Court appeals. He has also helped clients with voluntary disclosures, judicial reviews and other representation matters. He has experience dealing with a variety of issues including director's liability, foreign reporting penalties and TFSA/RRSP penalty taxes, as well as recent CRA audit activities in the real estate and restaurant industries.
Peter has spoken and moderated at tax conferences and has written numerous articles for various tax publications. He has been actively involved in the executive committee of various tax organizations including:
- Toronto Centre Tax Services Office (TSO) CRA and Tax Professionals Group - a group of senior tax practitioners and CRA executives who meet periodically to discuss tax administration issues (October 2007 to present)
- Canadian Tax Foundation Planning Committee – Ontario Tax Conference (2014 to 2017)
- OBA Tax Section Executive Committee (2007 to 2012), and
- President, York District CA Association (2006 to 2013)
Professional Affiliations and Distinctions
- CRA & Tax Professionals Group, Toronto Centre TSO, Executive Member
- Canadian Tax Foundation, Member
- STEP Canada, Trust & Estate Practitioner (TEP)
- Estate Planning Council, Member
- Advocates Society, Member
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA), Member
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA) (Tax Section), Member
- CPA Ontario, Member
- CPA Canada, Member
- Success in Bolton Steel Tube Co, v. The Queen featured in The Bottom Line, a business periodical for accounting and financial professionals (September 2014)