- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada), 1998
- LLB., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1996
- B.A., Political Science, York University, 1993
Clark is a partner and business lawyer in Dale & Lessmann LLP’s Corporate and Commercial group. He joined the firm after spending close to two decades in-house with two of the most successful and best-known franchise systems in Canada (and globally), Tim Hortons and McDonald’s.
In counselling these two iconic brands, Clark demonstrated creativity and a drive for success. With a focus on franchising and licensing, he is a strong advocate for taking a strategic approach to legal matters, with a keen focus on achieving business outcomes and helping his clients drive growth. Clark is known for having a global viewpoint, with extensive experience leading cross-border and international initiatives for his clients.
Clark thrives when working with clients who are similarly passionate, ambitious and values-led. He believes that lawyers should be strategic partners, helping their clients achieve their growth ambitions. He demonstrates this by gaining a deep understanding of his client’s business and proactively bringing his unique legal insight to business opportunities and challenges.
Clark is well-known for being a passionate advocate for the franchise business model. As a member of the board of directors of the Canadian Franchise Association, and as a member of the executive of the Ontario Bar Association’s franchise law section, Clark works tirelessly to promote the highest standards of franchising.
Clark is known as a thought-leader in the franchising industry. His dedication to sharing his knowledge of franchising and business has been recognized by his peers. He is the co-author of a chapter in Fundamentals of Franchising, Canada (2nd edition) published by the American Bar Association. He is a frequent speaker on legal and business issues at seminars and conferences and regularly delivers guest lectures to students at the University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario, York University and Ryerson University.
Professional Affiliations and Distinctions
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors of the Canadian Franchise Association
- Member, Canadian Franchise Association Legal & Legislative Affairs Committee
- Member, Canadian Franchise Association Government Relations Committee
- Member, Ontario Bar Association, Franchise Law Section Executive
- Past Member, Board of Directors of the Tim Horton Children’s Foundation