- LL.B. University of Western Ontario
- B.A. University of Western Ontario
Andrew has more than 25 years of experience in corporate and commercial law. He is regularly involved in negotiating and drafting acquisition and financing agreements, and taking transactions and entity structuring from the germ of an idea to a completed deal. He provides sound, practical advice on business law and contractual matters, and often finds solutions for commercial disputes. Andrew also has an active trade-mark practice. He acts for both foreign and Canadian businesses, whose transactions frequently have significant international aspects. Andrew previously was in-house counsel at major Canadian multinationals (Canadian Pacific and Labatt's) and has practised law in Toronto, London (Ontario), Montreal and Rotterdam. He speaks fluent Dutch and has some knowledge of German and French.
- Beaver Valley Ski Club
- Canada Netherlands Business and Professional Association
Professional Affiliations and Distinctions
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada)
- International Bar Association (Officer of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee)
- Dutch Business Lawyers Abroad
- Legal Counsel International
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Fluent in Dutch
- The ‘Dieselgate’ Crisis: Actions and Reactions From Around the World to the Volkswagen Emissions Control Case – Co-Chair, panel of the Corporate Law Section of the International Bar Association at its Annual Conference 2017 – Sydney, Australia – October 9, 2017
- Resilient Cities - Public Projects in Canada: Points of Interest – Presentation to the Netherlands Economic Mission to Canada, Toronto - October 3, 2017
- Sue Everyone in Sight – Productaansprakelijkheid in Canada (Product Liability in Canada); Article in Dutch published in Globe Magazine voor Internationaal Ondernemen, a periodical magazine published by the EvoFenedex trade organization of the Netherlands – July/August 2017
- David vs Goliath: How Small Entrepreneurs can be Successful in Negotiations with Multinational Corporations – Co-Chair, panel of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee of the International Bar Association at its Annual Conference 2016 – Washington, DC (USA) – September 2016
- Nederlandse Tuinders in Canada: Inleiding tot Zakendoen (Dutch Horticulture Suppliers to Canada: Introduction to Doing Business) – Presentation in Dutch to the Netherlands Horticulture Trade Mission to Canada – July 2016
- Kantelpunt: Merkenrecht in Canada (Tipping Point: Trademark Law in Canada) – Presentation in Dutch to the Legal Experience foreign study visit to Canada of the Utrecht University (Netherlands) Law Students Association – April 2016
- Bite the Bullet or Bail – Issues Facing Closely Held Businesses in Financial Distress – Co-Chair, joint panel of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee and the Insolvency Committee of the International Bar Association at its Annual Conference 2015 – Vienna, Austria – October 2015
- Tips – Zakendoen in Canada (Tips on Doing Business in Canada) – Presentation in Dutch to the Netherlands Trade Mission to Canada on the occasion of the State Visit of the Dutch King and Queen – May 28, 2015.
- The Dutch Entrepreneurial Spirit at Work in Canada – Reflections on the Last 20 years – Speaker at the Canadian Netherlands Business and Professional Association Entrepreneurs Night, Toronto, Canada - March 2015.
- Entrepreneurial Environment: Finding and Using Innovation Clusters to Build Start-Ups – Speaker, joint panel of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee and the Young Lawyers Committee of the International Bar Association at its Annual Conference 2014 – Tokyo, Japan – October 2014.
- Why Didn’t They Tell Me That? – Co-chair, International Bar Association Annual Conference joint committee panel of life sciences entrepreneurs; Boston, Massachusetts - October 2013
- Canada – Land of Opportunity – Presentation at Legal Counsel International symposium on Doing Business Abroad; Madrid, Spain - May 2013
- “Doing Business in Canada – Tips and Traps” – Presentation to the Netherlands Trade Mission at the Canadian Waste & Recycling Expo; Toronto, Canada - November 2012.
- “Get Your IP House in Order – The What, Why and How – Advising Entrepreneurs and Closely Held Businesses in Setting Up an IP Strategy”, Speaker on Closely Held and Growing Businesses Enterprises Committee Panel at the International Bar Association Annual Conference 2012 – Dublin, Ireland – October 2012.
- Opstarten van een Business in Canada – Belangrijke Tips (Starting a Business in Canada – Important Tips), presentation at the 2012 Canada Challenge Day event of AgentschapNL, an agency of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation; Scheveningen, The Netherlands – May 2012
- International Assignment of Employees: Issues and Challenges (co-chair, International Bar Association Annual Conference joint panel of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee and the Employment Committee, Dubai), October 2011
- Liability. Don’t be Scared. Be Prepared! (co-presenter at the 2011 Canada-US Challenge Day event of AgentschapNL, an agency of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs; Nootdorp, The Netherlands), February 2011
- Legal and Financial Issues to Consider When Structuring a PPP Project in Canada (panelist at Canadian Embassy seminar in Madrid, Spain on Public-Private Partnerships), November 2010
- Curse or Cure: Recent Variations in Treatment of Foreign Investment (co-chair of foreign investment panel at the International Bar Association Annual Conference, Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee, Vancouver, Canada), October 2010
- Winning Strategies in Managing Corporate Registrations (Insight - 9th Annual Securities & Business Law Forum, Toronto) (co-author), January 2010
- Successfully Reviewing and Administering Standard-Form Agreements (Insight 8th Annual Securities and Business Law Forum, Toronto), January 2009