- LL.B., University of Windsor
- J.D., University of Detroit-Mercy
- B.A. Hons. (French & Spanish), Queens University
Akua is a senior associate at Dale & Lessmann LLP. She is a member of the Estate Planning and Administration group and her practice focus on estate planning, administration, and litigation.
Akua assists clients to achieve their estate planning goals and works with owner-managers, entrepreneurs, professionals, blended families, seniors, and parents of young families. Her estate planning expertise includes tax and probate planning, corporate reorganizations, cross-border will and trust planning, charitable giving, planning for special needs beneficiaries, estate planning for pets, and incapacity planning, including powers of attorney for property, personal care, and living wills.
Her experience includes assisting estate trustees/executors with applications for probate, (including specialized probate applications involving foreign testamentary documents) and in the administration of estate and trusts. Akua provides opinions on will and trust interpretations, and assists executors, trustees and attorneys for property with the preparation of accounts.
Akua advises and represents a range of clients including estate trustees, attorneys, guardians, and beneficiaries, in contentious estate matters. Akua’s estate litigation experience includes incapacity litigation involving attorneys for property and personal care, guardianship applications, will disputes, dependent support claims, attending mediations, and passing of fiduciary accounts.
Akua is a frequent speaker on estate and trust issues and has written published articles as an estate law contributor to Advisors Edge Report as well as other publications. She is also an estate law tutor with the Law Society of Ontario. Akua has appeared on local television to discuss wills and estates, estate planning for the business owner, and powers of attorney. Additionally, she is the author My Lifeprint, an estate planning
Professional Affiliations and Distinctions
- Admitted to Ontario Bar (Law Society of Ontario), 2006
- STEP Canada, Trust & Estate Practitioner (TEP)
- Estate Planning Council of Toronto, Member
- Advocates Society, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Ontario Bar Association, (Trusts & Estates Section)
- Fluent in French, and Spanish
- Update on Variation of Trusts, LSO 23rd Estates and Trusts Summit - October 7 & 8, 2020
- Giving the Ultimate Gift, Leader Impact Group Forum, Kelowna B.C. & Abbotsford, B.C., February 6 &7, 2020 (Estate Planning Presentation)
- Avoiding a dependent’s relief claim, February 7, 2020 (published in Advisor’s Edge Report)