On May 6, 2013 the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) Appellate Body, the highest court at the WTO, released its report with respect to Canada, Japan and the European Union’s (EU) appeals against the decision made by the WTO Panel on the domestic content requirements of Ontario’s Feed-in-Tariff (...
Dale & Lessmann LLP has been a leader in the renewable energy industry from the beginning and has built one of Canada’s leading renewable energy practices. We have been involved in the acquisition, construction, development and financing of more than 1.9 gigawatts of renewable power projects. The firm has played a key role in assisting many European, Canadian, Asian and US based clients to successfully apply the technology, experience and know-how advantages they enjoy to the rapidly growing Canadian renewable energy market.
Our Renewable Energy Law Practice Group is comprised of a multidisciplinary group of lawyers with extensive experience in all aspects of infrastructure and renewable energy projects. Our lawyers are at the forefront of these developments as we work with exciting, entrepreneurial firms dedicated to taking advantage of new opportunities in renewable energy. We apply a special understanding of the needs of companies expanding to Canada that makes establishing new ventures efficient and cost effective. We support our clients with their business ventures across Canada. Our industry knowledge and network helps companies move ahead confidently. We are active members of a number of industry associations, including the Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) and the Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA).
Dale & Lessmann LLP acts for a wide spectrum of leading European, US, Asian and Canadian renewable energy companies, including participants engaged in the wind energy, solar energy, biomass/gas and hydroelectric power generation industries. Our client list includes the Who Is Who of the global renewable energy industry and includes leading equipment and technology manufacturers, suppliers and installers, as well as developers, purchasers, contractors, consultants and financing entities. Our standing in the renewable energy space can primarily be attributed to the fact that the Europeans are global leaders in the renewable energy industry and that Dale & Lessmann LLP has been specialized in advising European business in the Canadian marketplace for more than 50 years.
We can assist you with:
- mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, and joint ventures.
- tax planning.
- due diligence reviews.
- project structuring, financing, security documentation and creditor agreements.
- real estate acquisition, leases and easement registrations.
- power purchase agreements and Ontario Power Authority feed-in tariff contracts.
- operation and maintenance agreements.
- connection agreements.
- product manufacturing and supply agreements.
- engineering, procurement and construction agreements.
- municipal and environmental issues.
- permitting and licensing.
- securing work permits for foreign workers.
- advising on regulatory issues, including the requirements of the Ontario Power Authority's FIT and MicroFIT programs and Nova Scotia's ComFIT program and RFP process.
- dispute resolution and litigation.
Whether you are starting a new venture, expanding into a new marketplace or looking for partners in Canada’s growing renewable energy sector, Dale & Lessmann LLP can bring a unique global perspective to the legal and business issues you face. For more information, please contact any member of our team.
Highlights of Recent Representative Experience:
- Acting as corporate counsel to AIM PowerGen Corporation (now IPC), one of the largest and most successful wind power developers and operators in Canada.
- Acting as legal counsel to a major German wind power developer and operator. This company has developed wind farms with around 1,600 wind turbines globally and an estimated installed capacity of 3,000 MW. This developer was awarded more than 100 MW of FIT contracts by the Ontario Power Authority in 2010.
- Acting as legal counsel to major European wind park developer in relation to the development, structuring and financing of 180 MW of projects across Canada, including Nova Scotia (under ComFIT and the RFP process), New Brunswick and Ontario.
- Acting as legal counsel to various other wind park developers and supply chain participants across Canada.
- Acting as legal counsel to various European and Canadian debt and equity financiers in relation to the due diligence and financing of wind power projects.
- Acting for European wind park developer in relation to the sale of its 30 MW wind farm in Ontario in accordance with the regulatory requirements of the Ontario Power Authority's FIT Program and development of more than 130 MW of large-scale wind projects.
- Acting for numerous companies in relation to the due diligence review, acquisition, disposition, financing, development and commissioning of wind power generation facilities.
- Acting as legal counsel to the world’s largest integrator of photovoltaic systems for residential and commercial application purposes.
- Acting as legal counsel to a European solar pv project developer in relation to its acquisition and disposition of a 150 MW ground-mounted solar project pipeline in Ontario.
- Acting as legal counsel to one of Europe's largest equity financiers of ground-mounted solar projects in relation to the due diligence and acquisition of solar pipelines in Canada.
- Acting as legal counsel to major developer in relation to the development and commissioning of 60 MW of ground-mounted solar under the Ontario Power Authority's Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program.
- Acting as legal counsel to European investor in relation to due diligence and acquisition of 90 MW ground-mounted solar project pipeline.
- Acting as legal counsel to Canadian equity financier in relation to acquisition and financing of various rooftop solar portfolios, including a portfolio of projects in excess of 5 MW.
- Acting as legal counsel to US based developer in relation to development of 25 MW ground-mounted solar park under the OPA FIT program.
- Acting as legal counsel to European investor in relation to the acquisition of more than 1,200 microFIT solar projects.
- Acting for numerous companies in relation to the due diligence, acquisition, disposition, financing, development and commissioning of rooftop and ground-mounted solar project pipelines under the Ontario Power Authority's FIT Program.
- Acting as legal counsel to European investor in relation to due diligence and acquisition of 100+ MW of ground-mounted solar.
- Acting as general corporate counsel to a number of the world’s largest supply chain participants, including inverter, racking system and module manufacturers.
- Acting as legal counsel in relation to the development of the single largest rooftop solar project in Canada at 7.9 MW on a 2 million square foot roof.
- Acting as general corporate counsel to a major European construction conglomerate, which was awarded a $1 billion contract by Ontario Power Generation to design and construct a 10.4 kilometer hydro tunnel 140 meters below the City of Niagara Falls to transport water from the upper Niagara River to the Sir Adam Beck Power Station. This complex tunnel project is expected to produce 1.6 GW of additional energy and increase output by 14 percent - enough to power an additional 160,000 homes by 2013.
- Acting as corporate counsel to Europe's largest developer of turn-key biogas plants in relation to the development of projects in Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta, including a 2.7 MW biogas project in Alberta.