Andrew has more than 25 years of experience in corporate and real estate law matters. He is regularly involved in acquisitions and financings, transactions and entity structuring matters, business law and advising on contractual matters, and commercial dispute resolution. He also has an active trade-mark practice. He acts for both foreign and Canadian businesses, whose transactions frequently have significant international aspects. Andrew previously was in-house counsel at major Canadian multinationals (Canadian Pacific Railway and Labatt's) and has practised law in Toronto, London (Ontario), Montreal and Rotterdam. He speaks excellent Dutch and has some knowledge of German and French.
- Beaver Valley Ski Club
- Canada Netherlands Business and Professional Association
- LL.B. University of Western Ontario
- B.A. University of Western Ontario
Professional Affiliations and Distinctions
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar (Law Society of Upper Canada)
- International Bar Association (Officer of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee)
- Dutch Business Lawyers Abroad
- Legal Counsel International
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Fluent in Dutch
Recent Presentations and Publications
- The Dutch Entrepreneurial Spirit at Work in Canada – Reflections on the Last 20 years – Speaker at the Canadian Netherlands Business and Professional Association Entrepreneurs Night, Toronto, Canada - March 2015
- Entrepreneurial Environment: Finding and Using Innovation Clusters to Build Start-Ups – Speaker, joint panel of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee and the Young Lawyers Committee of the International Bar Association at its Annual Conference 2014 – Tokyo, Japan – October 2014.
- Why Didn’t They Tell Me That? – Co-chair, International Bar Association Annual Conference joint committee panel of life sciences entrepreneurs; Boston, Massachusetts - October 2013
- Canada – Land of Opportunity – Presentation at Legal Counsel International symposium on Doing Business Abroad; Madrid, Spain - May 2013
- “Doing Business in Canada – Tips and Traps” – Presentation to the Netherlands Trade Mission at the Canadian Waste & Recycling Expo; Toronto, Canada - November 2012.
- “Get Your IP House in Order – The What, Why and How – Advising Entrepreneurs and Closely Held Businesses in Setting Up an IP Strategy”, Speaker on Closely Held and Growing Businesses Enterprises Committee Panel at the International Bar Association Annual Conference 2012 – Dublin, Ireland – October 2012.
- Opstarten van een Business in Canada – Belangrijke Tips (Starting a Business in Canada – Important Tips), presentation at the 2012 Canada Challenge Day event of AgentschapNL, an agency of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation; Scheveningen, The Netherlands – May 2012
- International Assignment of Employees: Issues and Challenges (co-chair, International Bar Association Annual Conference joint panel of the Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee and the Employment Committee, Dubai), October 2011
- Liability. Don’t be Scared. Be Prepared! (co-presenter at the 2011 Canada-US Challenge Day event of AgentschapNL, an agency of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs; Nootdorp, The Netherlands), February 2011
- Legal and Financial Issues to Consider When Structuring a PPP Project in Canada (panelist at Canadian Embassy seminar in Madrid, Spain on Public-Private Partnerships), November 2010
- Curse or Cure: Recent Variations in Treatment of Foreign Investment (co-chair of foreign investment panel at the International Bar Association Annual Conference, Closely Held and Growing Business Enterprises Committee, Vancouver, Canada), October 2010
- Winning Strategies in Managing Corporate Registrations (Insight - 9th Annual Securities & Business Law Forum, Toronto) (co-author), January 2010
- Successfully Reviewing and Administering Standard-Form Agreements (Insight 8th Annual Securities and Business Law Forum, Toronto), January 2009